The mild Socialist streak in me says:
- Don't let EA co-opt a word. Don't let EA set a dangerous precedent, the moment when this golden age ends.
- Nothing is inevitable. Fight back. Define indie ourselves by performing it.
The linguist / English lit student in me says:
- Indie will mean whatever it will mean. Linguistic prescription, toward more use or less use, is pointless.
- Words do not have to have stable meanings to be useful / important. "Occupy" = "we're pissed off about something" + _____. In the same way, "Indie" = "there should be more kinds of games" + _____.
The indie game dev in me says:
- I'm indie because I say I'm indie. Now leave me alone so I can make some games; why don't you make yourself useful and go gossip about the new Call of Duty guns DLC trailer or something.
- I DON'T CARE. STOP BEING BORING. TALK ABOUT SOMETHING INTERESTING.